Friday, March 4, 2016

Leftovers Makeover : Tuna Quesadillas and Fresh Guacamole


The most challenging "to do" at home after a 4-day back to back business trips is to cook a decent dinner. Hubby won't mind if we go out instead or buy take out however I take it upon myself to make an effort .... after all I din't see my kitchen for days. The most challenging part is not the fact that I am tired to the bones {can somebody tell me what is it about airplane rides that makes you tired?} BUT the fact that there seems nothing in the fridge that translates into "dear, we are having a nice I-am-finally-home-dinner". 

When I opened our fridge last night, this is what greeted me .... a couple of  ripe avocados, half a slice of lime, half a block of Gouda cheese, veggies that have seen better days and leftover tuna flakes and mango chicken. Yeah, a fusion of Italian, Chinese and Mexican. 


It is time for leftover makeover so the wheels in my head started spinning until ....taaaadaaa ... I will make guacamole that will be the side dish for my tuna or mango chicken quesadillas!

My guacamole recipe is very simple but I can guarantee you that its a winner:

Mash {make sure to leave some lumps} 2 ripe avocados, toss in about two tablespoons of minced onion {red onion is preferred}, chopped half tomatoes {seeds and juiced removed}, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro/coriander {leaves and stems}. 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped {I have non of this today so I just used chili flakes}, 2 tbsp lime and salt and pepper to taste. Just mix all ingredients and serve.


Our pantry is always stocked with all sorts of canned beans and today I found re-friend beans which is perfect for my quesadillas.



It took me a little over 30 minutes to conjure this delicious dinner. True enough, after I cut the crispy quesadilla in halves, I heard hubby's car in the driveway. 

After bear hugs and sweet kisses, it did not take long for us to finish these leftovers makeover quesadillas with fresh guacamole. Simply Pure Bliss!


Leftover Tuna Quesadillas

Ingredients {makes 4}

4 pieces small tortilla
8 tablespoons re-fried beans {canned}
2 {85g} cans Clover Leaf gourmet flaked light tuna {I used sun-dried tomato and basil flavour}
1 small red onion {thinly sliced}
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup coriander/cilantro leaves , chopped

Procedure

Spread 2 tbsp re-fried beans on tortilla {make sure you spread the beans only on the half potion of the tortilla, leave the other half empty for easy assembly}.
Add about 2 tbsp tuna on top of beans.
Add sliced onions.
Top with grated cheese.
Sprinkle with coriander/cilantro leaves.
Fold the other half of tortilla over toppings.
Spray cooking oil on a heated non stick pan.
Cook quesadilla over medium heat about 2 minutes per side or until crisp.
Cut quesadilla in half and serve with guacamole and/or salsa.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...