Monday, June 8, 2015

My Version of Korean BBQ Marinade


We had a perfect spring weather last Saturday so we spent almost the whole day doing projects in our backyard. Hubby worked on the fire pit while I continued cleaning the old goat feeder that I am turning into a rustic bench {this is for another post} for my veggie garden.


By 6:30 PM dear hubby said "I think it is time to smell the roses." In our home, smelling the roses means lounging on the deck while enjoying BBQ and a bottle of ice cold beer or a glass of wine. Who can say no to that, so smell the roses it is!


To the grill he went and cooked the Korean chicken BBQ which I marinated the night before.

Lately, the flavour of freshly grated ginger is taking centre stage in my kitchen. It's fresh, slightly sweet flavour and aroma with a little spice remind me so much of home cooked meals at home in Manila : "Tinolang Manok", "Salabat at Suman, "Adobo sa Luyang Dilaw" among others. This time, I used the ginger to make my own Korean BBQ marinade.


The flavour of ginger is mixed with garlic, spring onions, coriander, soy sauce, honey and sesame oil to give that distinct taste of Korean dishes. Instead of beef short ribs {which is normally used for Korean BBQ called Kalbi}, I deboned chicken thighs leaving a bit of skin. When grilled. the marinated skin on chicken will caramelized {due to the sweetness of the honey} for added flavour.


Served on a bowl of boiled brown rice and a side dish of kimchi, this Korean chicken BBQ is worth adding to your summer menu.


The marinade goes a long way too. Vegetarians can use it to marinate tofu {I used extra firm tofu for my dish} for 3-4 hours before grilling. 


Korean BBQ Marinade

Ingredients
3 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup scallions, finely chopped
1/2 cup coriander, leaves and stem finely chopped
1 cup light soy sauce
4 Tbsp honey
4 Tbsp water
1 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp freshly ground pepper

Procedure
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and use as marinade for chicken, beef, pork or tofu. Marinate meat overnight before grilling for more flavour.


Linking with: The Scoop
                       Home-Making Mondays

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...