Monday, April 14, 2014

Lavender and Honey Panna Cotta


Hubby and I were exhausted this weekend after conducting due diligence on a small property we are interested in. By late Sunday afternoon, I was ready to put my feet up and just enjoy a nice cup of herbal tea. I took some lavender flowers from my stash {I harvested these flowers last fall from the garden and dried them in a dark room}, crushed it a bit to release the soothing scent , placed it on a tea cup and poured hot water for an instant lavender herbal tea. Ahhh, pure bliss!

Then I remembered I have a jar of delicious wildflower honey I bought from Jon, a local bee farmer here in our neighborhood. So, instead of just having lavender tea, why not a panna cotta with wildflower honey and lavender flowers.


The cooking only took 10 minutes but I have to wait for the panna cotta to set for a least 2-4 hours in the fridge before I can truly enjoy the fruit of my labour. While waiting, we attended the  Palm Sunday service at church and as soon as we get home .... voila! Honey and lavender at its best!



Honey and Lavender Panna Cotta
 Adapted from The Kitchn

Ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered gelatin (I used Knox}
2 tablespoons cold water
1 cup cream (or half and half)
1/4 cup wildflower honey
1 teaspoon dried lavender
1 cup milk

Procedure:
In a small bowl sprinkle the gelatin over the 2 tablespoons of water and let soften for at least 5 minutes. Lightly oil 4 5-ounce ramekins with baking spray or flavorless oil. Set aside.
In a small sauce pan heat the cream, honey, and dried lavender to a light simmer then turn off the heat. Whisk to incorporate all the honey evenly, then strain into a mixing bowl. Whisk in the gelatin. Whisk for at least a minute to make sure it is very evenly distributed and that no lumps remain. Whisk in the milk.
Pour into the ramekins, and put in the fridge to set. The panna cotta will need at least 2 hours to set; we prefer to wait at least 4, especially if the puddings will be unmolded.
To unmold lightly run a knife around the edge of the chilled pudding and invert onto a chilled plate.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...